Tuesday 24 June 2014

Macadamia Dukkah






Argh.. its been such a long time again. 

Life as usual, has a way of getting in the way of aspirations. 
I have been living between my home and my dads who has recently been diagnosed with cancer in the form of a little nugget in his brain. That and a handful of other family crisis has kept me busy often on the road most weeks and devoting my time and my cooking to those who need it most. Needless to say carting around my camera and recipe books has been pushed to the back of the priorities list. 

On the plus size this has reaffirmed for me the importance of diet. The necessity of providing your body with the tools it needs to keep itself healthy. A result my diet and the food I am preparing has changed a bit, nothing dramatic, just increasing the nutritionally dense good stuff and less of everything else. This is an attempt to encourage (force) those less then willing loved ones who are in the process of recovering from huge operations and loss. 

ANY-HO. 
 Dukkah is always handy to have kicking around the cupboard, there is nothing complicated here although it doesn't taste that way at all.  


Recipe. 

1/2 cup of almonds 
1/2  raw macadamia nuts
2 tbsp of fennel seeds 
2 tbsp of coriander seeds 
1/3 cup of sesame seeds 

Over a medium heat in a heavy based fry pan toast the spices until fragrant. Removed from the heat and lightly crush in a mortar and pestle. Chop the nuts and toast the almonds and sesame seeds until golden. Cool everything and combine in a jar.
Will keep for ever.  

Eat with a fresh loaf of sourdough dipped in olive oil, use it as a  crumb for fish and chicken, stir through salads or what ever. 

x
Abbey













No comments:

Post a Comment