Wednesday 12 June 2013

Super-Foods Super-Granola








I have to admit, I'm guilty of NEVER eating breakfast. Its not a conscious decision, its just a habit I have never formed and my body responds in turn by not being entirely sure what to do with food in its system before 11am. Resulting in a grump(ier) and lethargic Abbey. 

In an attempt to amend this, for myself and the people around me I decide to do something about it. Super foods Super Granola was born. A breakfast that could really pack a nutritional punch, with enough energy to keep me going all day while only eating a small amount to keep my precious tummy happy. 

There are so many super foods mixed in here but I felt like once in particular that deserved mentioning

MIGHTY MILLET. 

This unassuming little cutie of a grain is absolutely brimming with health benefits. Boasting a large range of essential nutrients, high in protein, probiotic, alkalising the body AND being one of the most digestible and non allergenic grains available it truly is a super super food. 
 Uses you may ask? 
Why everything! 
Ground as flour for breads, in soups, i use it instead of rice in a healthy risotto, patties, GRANOLA.. etc. 
Go and get it.  


I am now a breakfast eating convert. (almost) every morning I wake up to Super Granola topped probiotic yoghurt, mix organic berries for an extra antioxidant hit and a fresh cold press vege juice. 
Success. 

Recipe

1.5 cups sprouted buckwheat
3/4 cups millet
1/3 cup pecans, walnuts & brasil nuts
1/2 cup pumpkin and sunflower seeds
 1/3 cup chia and golden linseeds
1/2 cup cocoa flax mix
1/2 cup almonds
1/4 cup cacao nibs
2 Tbsp Cacao powder
2 Tbsp B-grade maple syrup
1/3 cup dates, dried banana, goji berries, 
dried strawberries, blueberries, cranberries
and golden raisins
2 cups puffed quinoa 
1/2 cup shredded coconut
juice of 3 apples
2 Tbsp coconut oil 

Heat oven to 120 degrees. 
In a deep roasting dish place everything apart from the dried fruit, cacao nibs and the quinoa puffs, mix so the wet ingredients are distributed evenly. Place in the oven for up to two hours, checking every 20 minutes or so. You want it to be lightly toasted and golden. Removed from the oven and allow to cool, then mix through the remaining ingredients.
 Easy Peasy.

x
Abbey


No comments:

Post a Comment